Mason Jar Chandelier

*If you’re visiting from the Dog Days of Winter “Thrift-it” Linky Party I want to thank you for stopping by!  Please take a minute to say hello and share your ideas as well.  

If you know me, you probably already know about my Mason Jar Chandelier…and my little obsession with mason jars in general.  Friends and family know of my obsession so they will often send unused mason jars my way…and I am very happy to accept.  A note from Justin:  please….no. more. mason. jars.

Two years ago I caught sight of the Potterybarn Mason Jar Chandelier (which you can find here), and while the $399 price tag might be reasonable for some people, it wasn’t for me.  So I used it as inspiration to create my own version.  For free.

Sharing this project is way overdue…about 2 years overdue, but I think you can forgive me considering I only started this blog adventure a few months ago.  I also thought this would be a great project to share at the Dog Days of Winter “Thrift-it” Linky Party!

At the time I created this pendant light, I was eyeball deep in renovations and had no kitchen, no roof and no floors.  But I decided it was a good time for a fun project, and really, I just couldn’t stand looking at the pendant lights gracing my dining room any longer.  


The only “before” picture I have of the chandelier, which was taken on closing day in 2010 (that’s my mom and I below).  

I needed new lighting, but didn’t want to spend the money.  I was able to keep the cost at zero by reusing the lighting fixture already in place and a few mason jars that were collecting dust in the garage.  However, the existing light fixture was actually black, so it needed a little makeover itself.

 

First, I removed the pendants and spray painted the fixture with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze paint.  I didn’t prime it, I didn’t sand it…I just painted it.  I even sprayed it in place using a bunch of painters tape and paper.  The ultimate lazy way to paint.  I also painted 3 metal mason jar lids with the ORB.  I taped off all parts of the fixture that will need to be kept safe and free of paint.

Below is the fixture with the pendant light and the glass clamp removed.

Since I was able to reuse the light fixture, all I needed was 3 mason jars with lids and a few drill bits.  I drilled a 1″ hole in the center of each lid using a hole saw, making sure the hole was big enough for the light fixture to slip into, but small enough so it would still be hidden once screwed into place.  I then drilled about 8 small holes around the 1″ hole that will show once the fixture is in place.  The round, white piece seen below is used between the metal lid and the jar to securely hold the glass in place onto the fixture.

The 8 holes will allow for heat to escape the fixture and keep the light at a safe temperature.  Note:  I added these vent holes today…two years after worrying about the heat not being able to escape.  Better late than never.

This is the most dramatic design piece to the front entrance.  The pendant lights get all the attention when visitors stop over and I think it really adds a great casual feeling to the room.

I can’t believe that I almost donated this light fixture.  All it took was about 20 minutes, some old mason jars and a little paint and the drama quadrupled in the dining room.  I love being able to create beautiful pieces from items I may have otherwise thrown away or donated.

Here is the dining room and chandelier as you would see them from the entrance.

A little overdue, but even after 2 years this is still my favorite light fixture in the house.

I have tried swapping out the bulbs to get different effects and haven’t been successful.  The fixture only accepts candelabra bulbs so it does limit what I can use.  Thankfully, I have this on a dimmer switch to help control the light in the room.  I found that I do prefer the round bulb over the candle bulb look, and I even tried using edison bulbs but they didn’t offer enough light.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mary

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *